A sports bra is an essential part of your workout kit – much like running shoes, you really can’t get by without it in the gym. A good sports bra will not only reduce bounce and keep you comfortable and pain-free while you exercise, it can also help reduce permanent stretching to the support structure of your breasts that result in sagging.
Here are 9 Top Tips to look for when choosing a sports bra:
- If you’re a larger-breasted woman, you may prefer a bra with underwire support.
- Look for a bra with wide, cushioned straps and flat seams for comfort.
- The bra should be made of a material that manages moisture well.
- If you’re a smaller-breasted woman, you may prefer a crop top design or contour option.
- Cushioning behind the hook and eye avoids discomfort from any pressure against your back that results when lying on the ground, for example when doing sit-ups.
- If you’ve had breast surgery or plan to exercise in a maternity bra, be sure to speak to your bra fitter about your needs.
- When choosing a sports bra, take a few different styles with you into the fitting room. Even though the size may be the same, you’ll often find small differences in the fit and shape.
- Test your bra before buying – jump up and down in it and move your arm around to get a feel for how comfortable and supportive it is.
- Also take a few deep breaths in the bra as part of your test – like when you’re breathing heavily in the gym. You may find you need a wider circumference than you think.
Your email address will be totally secure. We hate spam as much as you do, and we will NEVER pass your details on to anyone else.